Sustainable Development is an essential component of the Group’s long term strategy to support growth while promoting environmental stewardship and social responsibility. To create and protect stakeholder value, the Group is committed to implementing the following principles in three key areas:
- Safety and Health: develop a proactive safety and health culture by implementing the three pillars of the Imerys Safety System: compliance, continuous improvement and communication.
- Human Resources: develop the professional and personal capabilities of our employees, provide them with appropriate benefits, promote workplace diversity and maintain industrial relations by fostering an environment of mutual respect.
- Communities: build positive relationship with communities around our sites and contribute to local social and economic development.
- Human Rights: respect fundamental human rights by referring to core international conventions and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, and take particular actions to avoid child labor and forced labor.
- Management Systems: assess relevant environmental risks and continually improve control measures to reduce adverse environmental impacts.
- Resources Efficiency: apply advanced technologies and promote operational excellence to maximize the sustainable use of raw materials and other natural resources, such as land, energy and water.
- Biodiversity: preserve and create biodiversity value by enhancing rehabilitation of mines during their life spans with the aim of harmonizing with local ecosystems.
- Green Innovation: factor environmental benefits into the research and development of products, processes and services to reduce our environmental footprint throughout the product life cycle.
- Corporate Governance: respect and implement best corporate governance practices in a manner that is consistent with similar listed companies.
- Ethics and Business Conduct: promote and regulate ethical business behavior within the Group through the deployment of appropriate policies and protocols; and monitor their efficient and compliant implementation.
Each operation is responsible to allocate necessary resources to transform these global principles into concrete local actions. In order to ensure that high standards of responsibility and accountability are being maintained, the Group will drive continual improvement through periodical reviews.